The history of St. Columba begins, in a sense, with the land grants made by the king of Spain as Father Juniper Serra and his followers were originally settling California. St. Columba Church is built on land the was part of a grant to Mission San Diego de Alcala.
Father Edward Johnson was appointed the first pastor of St. Edward’s church (the name was later changed to St. Columba.) Father Johnson celebrated the first parish Masses in his apartment on Afton Road and then later in Gibbs Hanger at Montgomery Field.
Father Johnson was tragically killed in an automobile accident and Father Alfred Geimer was appointed interim pastor.
Father Patrick O’Neill was named pastor.
Groundbreaking for the construction of St Columba Church.
First Mass in the hall.
Fr. Edward McAvoy became first Assistant Pastor.
First Mass in the church.
December 12, 1958
Formal dedication of the church by the Most Reverend Richard H. Ackermann.
Groundbreaking for the school and convent.
May 17, 1964
The completed school and convent were blessed by the Most Reverend Francis J. Furey.
Following the guidelines of Vatican II, the sanctuary was remodeled.
Msgr. O’Neill retired and Msgr. John Dickey was appointed pastor.
Msgr. Patrick Mullarkey was appointed pastor.
The church was renovated for the second time. In addition to major interior changes to the church, a daily Mass chapel was added, as well as the Blessed Sacrament Chapel.
Father Mario Elias was appointed Pastor.
Father Mel Monreal was appointed Pastor.